African tech ecosystem raised $6.5 billion in 2022
The report's findings also show female-founded startups raised 22% of all equity rounds in 2022, up 2 percentage points from 20% in 2021.
Amid the drastic pullback in global VC funding, the African tech ecosystem recorded an 8 percent growth in 2022. According to the report by Partech Africa, African techs raised a total of $6.5 billion last year.
Debt funding doubled in volume to $1.5 billion, accounting for nearly a quarter of the total funding. Fintech, still leading, attracted 39 percent of the total equity volume, and Nigeria retained the top spot with 23 percent. The 2022 funding spread across 764 deals, compared to 724 in 2021.
Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt, and Kenya remained the top investment destinations in Africa, with a share of total volume staying relatively steady at 72%. Nigeria retained the top rank, bringing in $1.2 billion in capital, despite a decline of 36% from 2021; South Africa, Egypt, and Kenya each attracted over $0.7 billion in funding, with Ghana completing the top 5 with just over $0.2 billion.
The report's findings also show female-founded startups raised 22% of all equity rounds in 2022, up 2 percentage points from 20% in 2021. They also contributed $644 million or 13% of the total equity funding, down 3 percentage points from 16% in 2021.
- How NNPC limited can become profitable
- Is the CBN simply an agent of the federal government?
- Lessons of the naira redesign for development policymaking
- What voter turnout data say about the 2023 national elections
- Takeaways from Nigeria’s 2023 presidential election
Most Popular News
- EIB, Afreximbank launch EUR 200 million Africa health initiative
- Swift reports progress on interlinking central bank digital currencies
- Nigeria not on top 30 Africa ranking for 2023 Legatum Prosperity Index
- GSMA signs agreement with Africa centre for disease control and prevention
- Global M&A deal value plummets by 29% in 2022, reveals GlobalData
- Docks Bruxsel is first large shopping centre in Europe to achieve net zero
Quick Search for Upcoming Events
Featured Growth SMEs
Fiwa International Services Limited
Creates access to growth businesses in West Africa for Private Equity and Venture Capital
Thank you for signing up your organization. This is short description.