UK’s Azuri to deepen investment in solar solution in Africa
Azuri is a UK company providing pay-as-you-go solar power systems for lighting and TV systems.
The British Ambassador to Japan, Paul Madden, threw the spotlight on Azuri Technologies as the next-generation off-grid energy solution that will power economic development in Africa. He made the assertion while attending the seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7), which held last month in Tokyo, Japan.
Azuri is a UK company providing pay-as-you-go solar power systems for lighting and TV systems. It launched in 2012, and now operates in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Nigeria. In July 2019, the company announced a $26 million capital equity investment led by Marubeni, a Japanese corporation that participated at TICAD7.
A recent survey from the global off-grid solar industry association GOGLA shows 58% of East African households with off-grid solar systems undertake more work and enterprise, thanks to clean and affordable electricity. The study also shows households with solar make an average additional $35 per month, more than 50% of monthly GDP per capita in the region.
The British Embassy in Japan recently commissioned the research, “Off-grid electricity in Africa”, demonstrating the need for more action and investment in this sector and highlighting the work of UK companies such as Azuri.
Most Popular News
- Africans experience over 7,000 cyber attacks disguised as dating apps
- Study reveals high level of generosity of East Africa’s middle class
- Zenith Bank to expand women's access to finance with Z-Woman
- Lagos cracks down on companies for non-payment of taxes
- Dubai forum to showcase opportunities in real estate markets
- CBN limits milk importation to six companies
Quick Search for Upcoming Events
- Banking (1)
- Digital Technology (1)
- Education (1)
- Governance & Markets (1)
- Insurance (1)
- International Trade Show (2)
- Islamic Finance (1)
- Manufacturing (1)
- Marketing Communication (1)
- Oil & Gas (6)
- Pension & Endowment (1)
- PPP (5)
- Project Finance (4)
- Real Estate & Construction (1)
- Renewable Energy (2)
- Women Agenda (1)